Rowan to host middle school LEGO robot competition
Using a LEGO kit, teams build robots to complete simulations related to this year’s biomedical engineering theme such as casting a broken bone.
Teams are judged on their robots, research project and use of FIRST LEGO League core values. These include teamwork, gracious professionalism and having fun. Awards are given for the top-scoring teams.
Rowan students, faculty and staff and others from outside the University volunteer to run the event, which stimulates youth interest in science, technology, engineering and math. The event is jointly sponsored by the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences and College of Engineering.
· Opening Ceremonies 10 a.m.
· Robot games 2:15 to 4 p.m.
· Closing ceremonies 4:30 p.m.
· CMS Automatons, Plainsboro
· Robotecs, South Jersey Robotics, Quinton Township School
· Lunabots, South Jersey Robotics, Salem County College
· Humanoids & Techettes, Girls Scouts of the Jersey Shore Robotics, Ocean County
· Robot Rangers, Say Watt Robotics, Edison
· Margate #1, Margate City Recreation Department, Margate
· Ninjabots, Pitman Middle School, Pitman
· Panther Paws and Pixel Pixies, Princeton Day School
· Domoes, Cornerstone Home Educators, a home school group with families mostly from Gloucester and Camden counties
The top three teams will advance to the First State FIRST LEGO League Champions’ Tournament to be held on Jan. 22 at the University of Delaware.
The full schedule of activities can be found at: http://elvis.rowan.edu/firstrobots/doc/schedule.html
Note: Computer Science Education Week begins Dec. 5.